On the 113th day of the NHL lockout, a deal was struck, and it was proclaimed that hockey would be back. We’re ready to be back in the Pepsi Center, or watching on Altitude. We’re ready to finally see how the new players stack up in the lineup. We’re ready to see Gabriel Landeskog play a game with a C stitched on his jersey. We’re ready, Avs fans. We’re certainly angry that things have lasted this long, irate that the owners were right when they thought that fans could be back. At the end of the day though, we love our team. NHL hockey is our drug of choice, and finally, after eight long months, we’re about to take our first hit of it again.
So here are my top five questions when it comes to the Avs this (shortened) season.
1. When does Greg Sherman restart negotiations and re-sign Ryan O’Reilly?
2. How will this young team deal with a shortened season, and the potential slumps they might face?
3. How good can P.A. Parenteau really be for the Avs?
4. What sort of season will Milan Hejduk have?
5. Can Erik Johnson put together a well-rounded offensive and defensive season?
Here is my idea for a lineup (with O’Reilly):
(I’m reserving judgement on Zanon. He’s got a left-handed shot, just like Hejda, O’Brien, Wilson, and Hunwick, but in play he is most similar to Ryan O’Byrne. I’ll be interested to see what spot he can fill given these circumstances.)
OR without O’Reilly, I think the forward lines will look like:
Let me know in the comments what your projected lineups are, or what your top 5 questions about the Avs this season will be!