Here we are, smack dab on the middle of the dreadful off-season… UGH!!! I don’t know about any of you, but I am seriously jones-in for some hockey action. Anyway, as the off season drags along, I thought I would throw out a few fun facts, thoughts, predictions and prognostications about our beloved Avalanche… ENJOY!!!
- Only 4 players on the team have more than 5 years experience in the NHL – Milan Hejduk (13), Jean-Sebastien Giguere (13), Chuck Kobasew (8) and Jay McClement (6).
- Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly will be able to legally drink in the USA about the same time the All-Star break takes place. Party hard, boys!
- 3 of the 5 U.S. born players on the team (Erik Johnson, Peter Mueller & Ryan Stoa) are from the same town – Bloomington, Minnesota. There must be something in the water there! The other 2 are from Michigan (different cities though, darn it).
- The Avalanche defense only scored 22 goals last year. With no John-Michael Liles or Kevin Shattenkirk in the line-up, I’ll be AMAZED if they get anywhere close to 20 in the upcoming season.
- When did this team decide to become the Irish National team? With players like McClement, O’Byrne, Cumiskey, O’Reilly, McCleod, O’Brien, and Porter, we may as well have Guiness on tap and dye the ice green…
- Is Super-Joe really Superman? Did you see that hole-in-one? Sheesh…
- The Avs will play 3 Eastern Conference teams twice this year – the Penguins, the Devils & the Jets. Speaking of conferences, when is the NHL going to change things up and get the divisions right?
- Maybe Mueller’s health would improve if he ditches the #88… It didn’t work out so well for this one fella named Eric Lindros!
- Speaking of numbers, 21 will be retired on October 8th. Thanks, Foppa – for everything (except the Brett Favre impersonation last year).
- There are 7 – yes I said 7 – center ice men on the Avalanche roster. How’s that gonna work out? I hope Kevin Porter’s not the only one able to play another position…
- The longest road trip of the upcoming season will happen right away – a 5 game stint October 10-17. But January will be hell – 9 of the 12 games that month will be on the road.
- The longest home stand is an 8 gamer that takes place in late November thru early December and 7 of the 8 are against conference rivals.
- The Avalanche had 36 different skaters and 3 goalies take the ice last year. Will the injury bug rear its ugly head again this season? If Semyon Varlamov has anything to say about it, that would be a resounding YES.
- How’s this for the opening night starting line-up versus the Dead Wings: C Matt Duchene, LW Gabriel Landeskog, RW Milan Hejduk, D Jan Hejda, D Erik Johnson and G Semyon Varlamov. Sounds intriguing to me…
Tags: Avalanche Avs Colorado Avalanche Detroit Red Wings Jan Hejda John Michael Liles Kevin Shattenkirk Matt Duchene Milan Hejduk New Jersey Devils NHL Paul Stastny Peter Forsberg Peter Mueller Pittsburgh Penguins Ryan O’Byrne