Wow I didn’t see this coming! Oh wait I did? Of course I did, the Avalanche have now lost 17 or 18 and you would be foolish to consider them the favorite in any remaining game this season. We now get to look forward to the draft lottery which will determine if we have a chance to become the next Pittsburgh Penguins or Chicago Blackhawks.
The first period of this game actually would give a fan hopefulness that maybe, just maybe, the Avalanche will come to play the rest of the season. Brian Elliot stopped all eight Duck’s shots and the Avalanche added a goal of their own with 44 seconds left in the period. It is quite possibly the coolest goal of the year since it was scored by Ryan O’Reilly and assisted by Ryan Wilson and Ryan O’Byrne.
In the second period Anaheim answered back with two of their own before the Avs knotted it up at 2-2 and it seemed like we had a game. But then while on a 4 on 4 Ryan O’Reilly missed a chance to put the Avs up 3-2 on an odd man rush and the puck went back Anaheim’s way and they converted to go up 3-2. The Duck’s added another to go up 4-2 at the second period intermission.
The 3rd period seemed to show the same thing as late in the 3rd showed last time. The Avalanche just seemed to give up on the game and were just waiting for the clock to hit zero. When it finally did Anaheim scored two more goals and won the game 6-2. Sigh.
- Both Paul Stasnty and Milan Hejduk left the games with injuries. Stastny was a +1 with an assist in his 15 minutes while Hejduk was a -3 in his 11 minutes.
- Even with the injuries Phillipe Dupuis only played 11 minutes and was a 0 +/-.
- John-Michael Liles was a scratch after his injury the other night.
- The most SOG for the Avs: Erik Johnson, who played a suburb game.
- Ryan O’Reilly had more TOI then Matt Duchene.
- Only Paul Stastny and David Jones had a positive +/-.
- Ryan O’Reilly
- Saku Koivu
- Ryan Getzlaf (PPG)
- David Jones
- Corey Perry
- Dan Sexton
- Bobby Ryan
- Brad Winchester
Next Game: The Avs host the back end of a back to back this time Nashville gets to beat the Avalanche.